Sunday, August 04, 2013

Hockey News

At Women’s Hockey Junior World Cup 2013, Monchengladbach, Germany


Bronze Medal
India bt England 1-1 (1-0) (3-2 SO)
Goal Scorers - Rani (IND) 13' and Anna Toman (ENG) 55'

INDIAN GIRLS DEFEATED ENGLISH GIRLS 3-2 ON PENALTIES TO WIN THEIR FIRST BRONZE MEDAL OF JUNIOR WORLD CUP!!!

As expected close match for Bronze medal between Indian girls and British girls ... But both teams were struggling with their nerves in this match ... In this match both teams missed chances and made unforced errors ... Indian girls take early lead through Rani and kept that till half-time ... British girls equalized in the second half through Toman ... Match ended on 1-all ... In the match our captain and goal-keeper Chanu struggled while defending so our coach Neil Hawgood substituted their goalkeepers replacing Chanu by Bigan Soy, who has not played a single minute in this tournament so far .. And that turned to be master-stroke.

In penalty shootout both teams struggled to score ... Indians take lead through Rani but then missed next four shots from Navjot Kaur, Vandana Katariya, Navneet Kaur and Poonam Rani ... Other hand English girls missed first 4 shots from Anna Toman, Jo Leigh, Shona McCallin and Lucy Hyams ... Then Emily Defroand converted most important 5th shot ... In sudden-death shots Rani converted first shot and Emily Defroand converted England's first shot, 2-2 ... Poonam Rani missed next shot but Shona McCallin also failed to convert her hit ... 17 yrs Navneet Kaur gave Indians 3-2 lead when she converted her shot ... After that Anna Toman missed her shot and Indians girls won this match.


Neil Hawgood, Indian coach - “It means a lot to our kids’ psychology that they can actually win a medal. They have never been in those games before. We practiced shoot-outs, so I thought we would score more than three out of seven. Our goalkeeper Bigan Soy, who never played a minute the whole tournament, did a great job. It was clear, when it comes down to shoot-outs, she will be in the goal.”

Rani - “We are so happy and we have to thank our goalkeeper Bigan Soy who did very well in the shoot-outs. We were mentally prepared for shoot-outs which was good. This is our first-ever medal in a Junior World Cup, now we will celebrate!”

Bigan Soy, Indian goalkeeper during shoot-outs - “I did my very best and it’s a good feeling to know that I saved my team. I’m very happy. It now feels as I would have played the whole tournament.”

Navneet Kaur, scorer of the winning goal - “This is my first Junior World Cup and my first medal, I’m so happy. It was tough to take a second penalty after I didn’t score from the first. I knew that I need to get the goalkeeper to dive and then I can score. This is what I did.”

No comments:

Table Tennis News

At $70K ITTF Challenge Plus Oman Open 2020 , Muscat, Oman [R32] Harmeet Desai (IND,87) bt Jeremy Hazin (CAN,164) 4-0 (12-10, 11-8, 11-4,...