Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Squash News
At $143k Women's World Open, Rotterdam, Netherlands

[R2] Dipika Pallikal (IND,19) bt (Q) Kanzy El Dafrawy (EGY,36) 11-6 11-7 11-7

[QF] Dipika Pallikal (IND,19) vs (15) Samantha Teran (MEX,17)

Dipika in the quarters at World open ... She will be the first Indian player to enter into top 15 World squash ranking when next ranking will get updated.

Today she defeated Egyptian qualifier quite easily in straight sets ... Next she is facing Mexican girl, who today upset WR #5 Australian Rachael Grinham in 4 games.

Dipika Pallikal - "Last time I played against Kanzy, it was in the juniors, and she beat me 3/1. And yesterday, when I heard I was playing her instead of Omneya, I suddenly became very nervous, because I am better ranked than her, I didn’t want to lose and the pressure suddenly was too much.

So I call Sarah in Australia, telling her, I’m so nervous, I don’t know what to do. And she calmed me down….

It’s very difficult for me to celebrate, because my uncle George suddenly passed away a few days ago, and all my family is together in India to overcome that terrible moment, and I thought I was going to have to pull out of this tournament. But then I was made to realise that the best way for me to honour his memory was to do the best I could here, and to make him proud of me."

No comments:

Table Tennis News

At $70K ITTF Challenge Plus Oman Open 2020 , Muscat, Oman [R32] Harmeet Desai (IND,87) bt Jeremy Hazin (CAN,164) 4-0 (12-10, 11-8, 11-4,...