Thursday, July 31, 2008

Tennis News -
At $145K Nordea Nordic Light Open, Stockholm, Sweden

[R2] (6) Sania Mirza (IND,50) l Iveta Benesova (CZE,59) 64 36 36

This was Sania's consecutive 3rd defeat against Benesova, all 3 matches ended in 3 sets loss for Sania ... Again in this match Sania struggled with her serve and managed only 49% first serve percentage ... She committed 6 aces and 8 doubles faults ... In second set Sania tried comeback after down 1-3 breaking Benesova's serve ... But Benesova broke back at 3-all to won 2nd set ... In third Sania lost her serve in 2nd game and that was the only break in third set ... Benesova played solid on her own service game to win match in 2 hrs 5 mins.
------------------------------------------
At $100K Vancouver Challenger, BC, Canada
[R1] (SE) Somdev Devvarman (IND,345) bt (LL) Cecil Mamit (PHI,406) 64 26 76(4)
[R2] (SE) Somdev Devvarman (IND,345) vs Yen-Hsun Lu (TPE,70)

Tough fighting win by Somi after down by break in third set ... Somi showing solid mental toughness and playing with same intensity until end of the match.
Next he is playing against top-seed and Asian No. 1 Yen-Hsun Lu.


Match Report (from Canadian site) - Pretty remarkable that the 23-year-old pulled this one out today. He missed chances to serve out the match at 5-4 and 6-5 (up 40-0!), then was down 4-2 in the tiebreaker. Down 4-3, Devvarman caught a break, perhaps, when a shanked forehand was called out but overruled by the chairwoman. They replayed the point and Devvarman won it to go to 4-4. He hit a beautiful running crosscourt forehand pass, then charged a poor volley from Mamiit and passed again to set up match point. Mamiit's backhand went wide and the run of wins continued.

"The first round is always tough," Devvarman said, "and Cecil played very well. He’s very experienced, very quick and a great counterpuncher. It was a tough match but I’m glad I got through it.

"Maybe I pressed a little too much," he said of the two service games he lost in the third set. "Down 2-4 in the break, basically I just tried to fight through it and stay positive even though things weren't going great and I think that helped me."

Devverman's streak also means he's barely had down time. He said after his grinder-type effort today, though, that fatigue hasn't set in. "I’m feeling pretty good actually. My body feels good. I had two days of rest after my last match [Lexington final] and I’m taking care of my body."

"It obviously feels good," he said of the streak, "but the wins and losses are going to come. I'm realistic about it. It's going to come to an end. It could be tomorrow, it could be the day after that, and it could be next week. But I'm sure I'm going to give my best effort every time."

------------------------------------------
At $50K Vancouver Womens Challenger, BC, Canada

[R1] (3) Sunitha Rao (IND)/ Robin Stephenson (USA) l Maria-Fernanda Alves (BRA)/ Ashley Weinhold (USA) 26 46

So Sunitha's challenge over in this Vancouver Womens Challenger.

No comments:

Table Tennis News

At $70K ITTF Challenge Plus Oman Open 2020 , Muscat, Oman [R32] Harmeet Desai (IND,87) bt Jeremy Hazin (CAN,164) 4-0 (12-10, 11-8, 11-4,...