Sunday, July 20, 2008

Motor Sports News -
At GP2 Series Hockenheim Race, Germany - 19th-20th July, 2008


Salute to Karun for his first Sprint Race victory!!!
On Saturday in Feature race Karun finished on 8th place in wet condition ... But in Sprint Race Karun had different plan ... He started from pole, but lost lead to Lucas di Grassi for few minutes but he grabbed lead back overtaking Grassi ... But his biggest challenge came from Andreas Zuber, who was faster than Karun but just could not find a way to make a move due to superb strong and mature race from Karun ... Again congrats to Karun to take a long overdue win in the sprint race and importantly he broke his jinx, his Sunday jinx in great style.

GP2 Series - Karun, a little while between drinks for you but you're a race winner again, here in Hockenheim: how does it feel?
Karun Chandhok - Very good, this time is a little different to Spa last year, because Spa I was just really, really pleased but this time there is a little relief as well because this year I came into it believing we were fast enough, knowing we were fast enough to win races but it didn't happen in Asia, and for a number of reasons I think we got robbed of a few wins there. I was really, really pissed off after Asia, so it's really nice to get one under our belts here: we've had good race pace all season long you know, in Monaco and Silverstone, and we've struggled a little bit in qualifying for a few reasons but yeah, just very pleased. And I'm really pleased for the team as well, to get two drivers to have won a race, so I'm just really pleased and I just love working with these guys: they're the best team I've ever worked with, they're just so good to get along with, and with Bruno as I well because I think we get along better than any other teammates in the pitlane. It's just a great feeling right now.

GP2 Series - Was it the best way to get it done: start from pole and just fight from the front?
Karun - Yeah, but we lost off the line! It was a pressure race you know, it wasn't an easy race: okay, starting from the front but it was a pressure race the whole way because Zuber was quick here all weekend and qualified third, and Bruno is quick as well, but I was quite comfortable and don't think I made any mistakes: I had a second gap to Zuber and just sat there, and the team did a great job to keep me informed of where things stood, where we were quick and where we weren't, and that helped things a lot.

GP2 Series - Was it just a case of managing the race? You didn't set any fastest laps, but you always looked comfortable there...
Karun - We had fastest lap very early on in the race, but I wasn't too fussed to be honest because I just wanted to make sure we looked after the rear tyres: the last thing I wanted was to have a situation like Grosjean had in Silverstone where he destroyed the tyres and then couldn't do anything for the last ten laps. I'd rather have the six points for the win than the one point for fastest lap!

GP2 Series - It has been a bit of a monkey of your back getting the win here: can this help you for the remainder of the season?
Karun - Yeah, we've had pace all season long at places like Silverstone and Istanbul, and in Monaco we had good race pace: it's just nice to get one under the belt as an indication that we can complete the job as well.

No comments:

Table Tennis News

At $70K ITTF Challenge Plus Oman Open 2020 , Muscat, Oman [R32] Harmeet Desai (IND,87) bt Jeremy Hazin (CAN,164) 4-0 (12-10, 11-8, 11-4,...