Sunday, June 21, 2009

Badminton News
At $250K Indonesia Super Series 2009, Jakarta

[F] (6) Saina Nehwal (IND,8) bt (3) Lin Wang (CHN,3) 12-21 21-19 21-9

Congratulation to Saina for becoming first Indian to won Super Series tournament!!!

Saina won first point of the final but after that Lin Wang dominated proceeding and didn't give much chance to Saina in the first game ... Lin Wang won first game under 12 minutes ... In second game Wang take early couple of points lead but Saina equaled at 5-all and take 9-7 lead, which increased to 11-8 ... Wang won next 3 points to make it 11-all ... Again Saina take 15-12 lead but again Wang made it to 16-all ... Saina taken lead 20-17 and converted second game point to won game in 19 minutes ... Third game also started same way like previous 2 games as Wang taking early lead ... Wang take 4-1 lead but Saina made it 5-all again Wang take 7-5 lead ... But from here Saina shifted gear and taken control of the game ... She won next 7 points to take 12-7 lead ... Then lost only 2 points to scored greatest win for Indian badminton in 49 minutes ... Indonasian coach coach Atik Jauhari helped Saina in making strategy before these matches.

What a huge victory for Saina ... With this Super Series title win she will definietly enter into top-5 world ranking when next ranking will get update.


Saina Nehwal - "I just can’t believe it, I know it’s always a top fight to play against a top 10 player but I was really confident before the match. I have to thank the audience for their incredible support. The last four of five points were played in so much noise. This win is great for me not only because it’s my first Super Series title – and this, just a few weeks away for the World Championships in my hometown – but also because I had a very tough draw, having to beat such good players as Petya Nedeltcheva, Juliane Schenk, Hwang Hye Youn, Lu Lan and today Wang Lin. To be honest, I was scared before the game to play in front of such a big crowd so I started a bit nervously, not being able to concentrate properly."

"Now, my victory is one more proof that non-Chinese players – like Tine Rasmussen and I - can win big titles and I think it’s good for the game. I also think India could become a great badminton nation but conditions are difficult in my country due to parent’s emphasizing the importance of studies over sports."

No comments:

Table Tennis News

At $70K ITTF Challenge Plus Oman Open 2020 , Muscat, Oman [R32] Harmeet Desai (IND,87) bt Jeremy Hazin (CAN,164) 4-0 (12-10, 11-8, 11-4,...