Sunday, September 16, 2007

Motor Sports - GP2 series
At Spa Francorchamps circuit, Belgium

Karun Chandhok won his first victory in the GP2 series in race two, setting up the win by blasting past Andy Soucek, who held off Lucas di Grassi in the closing stages of the race.

Here is interview from GP2 Series site -
GP2 Series: Karun, congratulations, you must be delighted.

Karun Chandhok - I’m really very, very happy. The car worked really well all through the race. The big key to the race was the first three or four laps at the start. Ho-Pin locked his brakes so late, I think he saw me and pushed me wide, and that’s how Andy got ahead. Then I really had to look after the tyres because Andy started killing them. After lap five I could see his tyres were finished, and...

Dave Price: Well done mate

Karun - Thanks very much.

Dave: Bastard! [Laughs]

Karun - [Laughs] Are you going to put that in? So anyway, he started killing the tyres and I knew that as long as I looked after them, with the new tyres on the Sunday race you have to nurse them a little bit in the early stages. I did that and the car came into its own and I could push and pressurise and then I tried to set the move up for a few laps. I watched, had a look to see what I had to do.

Enrique Scalabroni: Congratulations.

Karun - Thank you.

I knew the top of the hill was my best chance because I was quicker than him through Eau Rouge. So the lap that I decided to do it I went through absolutely flat, didn’t think twice, and got the tow and went round the outside. It was perfect in the end, and worked out really well.

GP2 Series: The move was incredible. Talk us through it.

Karun - Yeah. I think any move around the outside is a bit of a risk but no risk, no gain. I had to do Eau Rouge flat behind him. Doing it in free air is no problem, but doing it flat behind somebody when you lose the aero is very difficult. I had a go and that’s it, went around the outside, braked really late, the rear end started to come around and I just hopped off the brake, just got on the curb and got away with it. We didn’t touch and it was clean so fair do’s to Andy. He realised I was going to have a go and he was very clean and I have to thank him for that.

Chris Murphy (Giorgio Pantano’s engineer): Bloody brilliant, well done!

Karun - Thanks!

GP2 Series: How much does this mean to you and to the team? Both you and them seemed very emotional afterwards.

Karun - Very emotional, for sure. They’re Italians, and for me it’s ideal. For this year the deal happened literally one week before the Ricard test so I went through three months of the winter with no sleep, not knowing what I’m going to do this season. To come away with a win and points every weekend since Budapest shows we are coming on strong. It builds up to a good winter. This weekend there’s been a lot of speculation about next year, for India as well, it’s the first time I’ve heard the national anthem at a Formula One Grand Prix, so that’s a special feeling as well. It’s been live on TV in India so everyone’s going crazy back at home. My phone has loads of missed calls already!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Chess News -
At 2007 World Chess Championship, Mexico

Round 1 -
Vladimir Kramnik ½ - ½ Peter Svidler
Alexander Morozevich ½ - ½ Levon Aronian
Viswanathan Anand ½ - ½ Boris Gelfand
Alexander Grischuk ½ - ½ Peter Leko

Round 2 -
Peter Svidler ½ - ½ Peter Leko
Boris Gelfand ½ - ½ Alexander Grischuk
Levon Aronian 0-1 Viswanathan Anand
Vladimir Kramnik 1-0 Alexander Morozevich

Round 3 -
Alexander Morozevich 1 - 0 Peter Svidler
Viswanathan Anand ½ - ½ Vladimir Kramnik
Alexander Grischuk ½ - ½ Levon Aronian
Peter Leko ½ - ½ Boris Gelfand

Standing After Third Round -
T1 Anand Vishwanatan IND 2
T1 Kramnik Vladimir RUS 2
T3 Morozevich Alexander RUS 1½
T3 Grischuk Alexander RUS 1½
T5 Leko Peter HUN 1
T5 Gelfand Boris ISR 1
T5 Aronian Levon ARM 1
T5 Svidler Peter RUS 1

No comments:

Table Tennis News

At $70K ITTF Challenge Plus Oman Open 2020 , Muscat, Oman [R32] Harmeet Desai (IND,87) bt Jeremy Hazin (CAN,164) 4-0 (12-10, 11-8, 11-4,...