Sunday, January 18, 2015

Tennis News

At $519K Heineken Open 2015, Auckland, New Zealand



Doubles Final
(4) Raven Klassen (RSA)/ Leander Paes (IND) bt Dominic Inglot (GBR)/ Florin Mergea (ROU) 76(1) 64

Lee-Raven lifts their first title as team and first of 2015 season... This is Lee's 55th title with his 99th partner and Lee contesting his 93rd career final (55-38), has now won a title every season since 1997 ... Lee-Raven were down an early break in the first set against Inglot and Mergea, but fought back to win it convincingly in a tie-break ... Then Klaasen and Paes served for the match at 5-3, only to be broken for a second time but they rebounded immediately and got their third break and winning the match in 74 minutes.

Leander Paes - "It’s been a good start to the year. It just goes to show that when you persevere and work hard together, we’re very potent as a team. At this stage of my career, I have a great partner with me who keeps me young and motivated. He works hard on the practice court. He goes out on the match court, and he’s very intelligent. That’s a bonus for me. I really love playing with Raven."

Raven Klassen - "Leander is arguably one of the best doubles players of all time. He’s still willing to learn and improve and teach me those things I haven’t heard before. Looking forward, my improvement curve is going fast, and he’s improving, too. The way things are going now, we’re going to be a tough team to beat."

-----------------------------------------------------------
At $494K Apia International Sydney, Australia



Doubles Final
(3) Daniel Nestor (CAN)/ Rohan Bopanna (IND) bt (2) Jean-Julien Rojer (NED)/ Horia Tecau (ROU) 64 76(5)

Rohan-Daniel lift their first title as a team winning Sydney tournament ... This is Rohan's 11th title and Nestor's 86th doubles title ... In this match Rohan-Daniel served well winning 91% of points on their first serve ... In this match they converted three break points from seven.

Rohan Bopanna - "Since we started together this year, we've been working hard. Playing with a guy like Danny, with so much experience, I think it really helps my game. I just have to focus on my side of the court and that makes it much easier. Since he's been on the tour for such a long time, it helps me as a player. In these big matches, big moments, he keeps me relaxed and I can play my best tennis. That has helped us this week and I hope we can continue like that. I think we're a pretty strong team. If we play our best tennis, we can beat anybody out there. It's just a case of believing in ourselves and playing well. We go into Melbourne with a lot of confidence."

Daniel Nestor - "We played a few tournaments at the end of last year to prepare for this year as well as we could. Things didn't go as well, but I think right now we're clicking. I enjoy playing with Rohan; he's a big hitter, he serves great and he's one of those guys that's really intimidating to play against. So I'd rather be on the same side as him!”
-----------------------------------------------------------
At Australian Open 2015, Melbourne

[Q3] Yuki Bhambri (IND,314) bt Chase Buchanan (USA,179) 63

[R1] (Q) Yuki Bhambri (IND,314) vs (6) Andy Murray (GBR,6)

Yuki first time qualify for main-draw of grand slam winning final qualifying match comfortably with his attacking game ... In the first round he is facing two time grand slam winner Andy Murray.

In the first set Yuki broke Chase in 6th game to lead 4-2 and then kept that lead for winning the set ... In the second set Yuki broke Chase in 3rd game to lead 2-1 but Chase broke him in 8th game to make it 4-all ... Yuki responded immediately breaking Chase in 9th game and then hold his serve for winning the match.

No comments:

Table Tennis News

At $70K ITTF Challenge Plus Oman Open 2020 , Muscat, Oman [R32] Harmeet Desai (IND,87) bt Jeremy Hazin (CAN,164) 4-0 (12-10, 11-8, 11-4,...